Sunday, September 13, 2009

Air Miles on Stolen Indian Land

Something that has enraged me for years is all the gimmicks that I have to pay for every time I buy food, clothing or almost any other consumer good. When I go to Safeway, I have to produce a loyalty card to avoid paying more for many items, and they pretend that THEY are doing ME a favor by giving me the SPECIAL without having to produce the COUPON! Then I pay for Air Miles, whether I want them or not, as well as some kind of scratch-and-win cards that the cashier pushes into my hand with the change. Besides the direct cost of these things, the time of all of the shoppers is wasted while people fumble for their cards. Save On Foods does the same thing with Save On More Points. Even in Panama, the Rey chain checkout wonders if I want Puntos de Oro. (Que dijo? Putos de Oro? NO, no quiero putos, gracias!)

They do all this to collect information, of course. I have provided them with bountiful data on Jack Meoff from Warsaw and S. Claus from North Pole. I do hope they are grateful.

And, oh yes, the final outrage, all of these stores are located on stolen Indian land in Canada and Panama, land which was the patrimony of aboriginal Americans before the arrival of Europeans. A fact that provides a catchy title that gets the attention of a search engine.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Alejandro Erickson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:50 AM, September 13, 2009  
Blogger Alejandro Erickson said...

This reminds me. You know what pisses me off more than the olympics? The fact that activists have decided to make native land disputes their flagship issue. It's the only thing that no one else cares about! The masses hardly hear a thing about gentrification, environmental problems, corporatization, or attacks on civil liberties. When you have an issue you want poeple to know about you have one sentence to get their attention and make them care and yelling "no olympics on stolen native land" is not going to help. Yes native land is important, no it's not the reason we should not have the olympics. The olympics have had many issues over the years, far more grave than stolen native land. It's more like the natives have stolen the olympics to highlight their own issue. Now anyone that wants to bring up another issue looks like a jerk if they don't emphasize the importance of the native issue and discredit themselves in the eyes of the majority of their audience. We should start a counter protest called, "no native land disputes over stolen olympic games"!.

1:51 AM, September 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home