Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pentax AF160FC Ring Flash




Click on the photos to see them full screen; the ants are more impressive that way, if you like that sort of thing.

Pentax finally made a ring flash compatible with my K20D digital camera. I bought it here in Vancouver because it was only marginally cheaper to order from BH Photovideo in New York, and by buying here I get a two year warranty.

Anyhow, I took it to Smithers and photographed the ants behind Bulkley Lodge where my Mother now resides. Mounting the camera underneath the tripod kept it steady and made it possible to do the job without being so up close and personal with the subjects, although these are friendly critters compared with the fire ants I encountered last year in Panama. I decided a piece of white pork fat looked best against the black ants, and they attacked it with gusto.

Two curious guys watching me do this set me off on a all-I-know-about-ants lecture. They thought it was great that the females did all the work, but after I explained that the drones just have sex once with the queen and then die, they decided our society was better after all.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home