Friday, May 25, 2007

Brazilian Granite and Chinese Pipe




This week I was unloading Brazilian granite blocks from the Westfield at Lynnterm East. I thought Canada had lots of granite of our own, but I soon saw that it comes in many different colors and textures - just these stones from Brazil were different shades of green, black, brown and honey; and Googling I found that red, pink etc can be obtained from places such as Saudi Arabia and India. Looking at the blocks (check the photo), I admired the precision drilling of the quarrymen who drilled the holes for the explosive that broke them free from the quarry. My colleagues are landing the block on timbers called "dunnage", so that they can get the slings free again, and to hold up the block so a forklift can get its tines under. When you order a counter top or tombstone from a Canadian stone company, remember that people drilled and blasted in some far-off quarry, seamen sailed and longshoremen loaded-unloaded it.
Seeing that the next hatch was unloading pipe, I went to look at the tags, thinking that it would be Brazilian too. Much to my surprise, the pipe came from China, as most of our pipe imports do. My guess is that the Westfield took on a cargo of soybeans for China in Vitoria, as well as granite for Canada in hold #1; unloaded the soy in China and filled the aft holds with pipe for Canada.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home